Squarespace is a brilliant website builder, but there are plenty of Squarespace alternatives out there worth considering.
If you’ve checked out Squarespace, you’ve probably found that it’s simple to use and turns its hand to virtually anything. For example, when you search for website templates on Squarespace, it asks you what type of website you want to create:
You can use Squarespace to create a personal website, a restaurant website, or even a technology website — and that’s kind of the point:
Squarespace isn’t a specialist — it’s a generalist.
This makes it the perfect solution for many people. However, there are plenty of websites like Squarespace that specialize in a particular function. For example, some website builders are dedicated to helping people run and grow businesses, and others are perfect for hosting a design portfolio.
Bottom line, depending on your specific needs, you may be better off using one of Squarespace’s competitors. But which Squarespace competitors should you consider?
In this article, we’ll check out 10 of the best Squarespace alternatives available for every type of website.
(Disclosure: This website is a part of Shopify inc. media properties. Although we strive to publish objective, accurate, and factual content, this article may contain biased opinions.)
Don’t wait for someone else to do it. Hire yourself and start calling the shots.
The 10 Best Squarespace Competitors
Here are 10 popular Squarespace competitors worth considering for your website:
Now, let’s take a closer look at each one!
1. Shopify: Best for Running a Business
Ideal for: Running a business online and offline — Shopify is the ultimate commerce platform.
Shopify is a fully-fledged commerce platform built for businesses.
It’s one of the largest website platforms online, hosting more than 1.7 million merchants who’ve processed a whopping $2.77 billion in sales.
Some of the largest brands in the world use Shopify to grow their businesses — such as Kylie Cosmetics, Lindt, Heinz, and Lady Gaga — and it’s easy to see why when you consider Shopify’s features.
For example, you can use Shopify to do things like:
Arguably, the best thing about this Squarespace alternative is that most of these business-boosting features are available on the Basic Shopify plan. Here’s a full rundown of Shopify’s pricing:
- Shopify Lite – $9/month
- Basic Shopify – $29/month
- Shopify – $79/month
- Advanced Shopify – $299/month
- Shopify Plus – $2,000+/month
Like Squarespace, Shopify offers a free 14-day trial which you can use to check out the platform first hand.
All in all, if you’re looking for a Squarespace alternative for ecommerce or retail, Shopify is the perfect solution.
2. WordPress: Best for Blogging
Ideal for: Professional blogging.
WordPress is a great Squarespace alternative for blogging — it actually started life as ‘the’ blogging platform.
It’s huge, too — according to W3Techs, the platform now powers 41.1% of all websites online.
So, why is WordPress so popular? Well, unlike all the other Squarespace alternatives on this list, it’s open-source — this means WordPress has made its code freely available for modification and redistribution.
Consequently, WordPress is an incredibly flexible platform — anyone can customize any aspect of WordPress or build integrated add-ons and then sell them. As a result, WordPress also powers countless software-as-a-service (SaaS) businesses.
In essence, WordPress is a highly customizable content management system. This means that if you use WordPress, you’ll need to do things like:
- Purchase a domain name and hosting package from a third-party provider like BlueHost, GoDaddy, or NameCheap.
- Set up WordPress on your host’s server.
- Install a free website theme or — more likely — purchase a premium theme.
- Install and configure a host of plugins to customize the functionality of your website.
This probably sounds like a lot of work. It is — especially when compared to an ‘out of the box’ solution like Shopify.
However, if you want complete control (and responsibility) over your website, WordPress is likely the best Squarespace alternative out there.
Good news: WordPress is free! Bad news: You’ll likely need to purchase additional tools from third parties to get your website working in the way you want, such as:
- A domain name — roughly $10 to $20 per year.
- Hosting — anywhere between $5 to $700 per month, depending on your needs.
- A premium WordPress theme — according to codeinwp, the average theme costs $59.
- A handful of plugins — most plugins charge a small monthly recurring fee.
3. Duda: Best for Agencies and SaaS Businesses
Ideal for: Scaling agencies and integrating SaaS platforms.
Duda is a website builder and platform that caters to agencies, SaaS businesses, and hosts. Like every Squarespace competitor on this list, it comes with a website editor and pre-designed templates.
However, what makes Duda different is its client management and team collaboration tools. In other words, it’s not built as a simple website builder like Squarespace — instead, it was also designed to help businesses create websites for others.
Specialist tools allow you to reuse widgets across many different projects and share feedback with clients or your team on a website as it’s being built.
Duda provides 3 pricing plans — however, you’ll need to commit to 1 year upfront as Duda bills annually.
- Basic – $14/month ($168/year)
- Team – $22/month ($264/year)
- Agency – $44/month ($528/year)
Custom plans are also available if you outgrow these plans.
4. Cargo: Best for Creatives
Ideal for: Designers and artists wanting to create an online presence.
Are you looking for an edgy and artistic aesthetic to compliment your work as a photographer, designer, artist, writer, or any other type of creative endeavor? If so, Cargo is undoubtedly one of the most exciting Squarespace alternatives to consider.
It comes with 75 templates that you can use as-is or customize until your heart’s content. Cargo also partnered with Dinamo and Type Network to offer an extensive collection of typefaces and open source fonts.
Cargo provides two pricing options:
- Standard site: $13 per month or $99 per year.
- Site with ecommerce capabilities: an additional $9 per month or $66 per year.
5. Strikingly: Best One-Page Website Builder
Ideal for: Creating stunning one-page websites.
Strikingly is the perfect website builder for minimalists.
This Squarespace alternative provides a straightforward dashboard. Plus, its intuitive drag-and-drop website editor allows you to customize mobile-optimized templates to create beautiful one-page websites.
Strikingly allows you to purchase a domain name, add content, create signup forms, display your social feeds, and more. Plus, all websites come with analytics tools and HTTPS security.
Strikingly has 4 different plans:
- Free (with a Strikingly.com domain and ads)
- Limited – $12 per month or $8 per month billed annually
- Pro – $20 per month or $16 per month billed annually
- VIP – $49 per month billed annually or $43 per month billed biennially
6. Pixpa: Best for Photographers
Ideal for: Photographers and creators who want to build a portfolio website.
Pixpa is a Squarespace alternative for photographers and creators that’s explicitly designed to create gorgeous online portfolios.
Photographers can also use this Squarespace competitor to create client galleries and sell their photos as digital downloads or prints.
The platform comes with plenty of mobile-responsive themes optimized for niches such as design, arts, fashion, and personal/CV use. It also provides basic search engine optimization (SEO), analytics, and marketing tools.
Pixpa offers three pricing plans:
- Personal – $10 per month or $7 per month billed annually
- Expert – $15 per month or $10 per month billed annually
- Business – $24 per month or $16 per month billed annually
Like Squarespace, Pixpa also offers a two-week free trial (15 days to be exact) so you can test it out before you commit to a plan.
7. About.me: Best for Simple Personal Branding
Ideal for: Simple, one-page personal branding websites.
About.me offers a way to create a simple one-page personal branding website in minutes — it’s a bit like a digital business card.
This platform provides only the most essential website features to help you showcase tidbits of your professional life, including:
- A profile picture
- Short description about you
- A mini-biography
- Where you work
- Where you went to college
- Links to your social media profiles
- A call-to-action button
- A contact form
In short, if you’ve been using LinkedIn as your digital business card and want to step up your game, check out this Squarespace alternative.
About.me offers 2 pricing plans:
- Free (with an about.me domain, branding, and limited features)
- Pro – $8 per month or $6.59 per month billed annually
8. ClickFunnels: Best for Building Sales Funnels
Ideal for: Creating and optimizing sales funnels.
ClickFunnels isn’t precisely a website builder like Squarespace — instead, it’s a sales funnel builder.
Think of sales funnels as strategic, engineered systems designed to take people from strangers to customers as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Like the other Squarespace alternatives on this list, ClickFunnels comes with pre-made templates that you can customize to your needs. The platform also provides plenty of marketing tools, such as A/B testing, email automation, and one-click upsells.
ClickFunnels isn’t the cheapest Squarespace competitor on this list with 3 relatively pricey plans:
- ClickFunnels – $97/month
- ClickFunnels Platinum – $297/month
- TwoCommaClubX – $2,497/month
Like Squarespace, ClickFunnels offers a free 14-day trial that you can use to get a feel for what’s on offer.
9. SITE123: Best Simple Website Builder
Ideal for: Those searching for a dead-simple website builder like Squarespace.
The critical difference is that SITE123 dubs itself as “by far easiest free website builder.”
This Squarespace competitor’s core focus is making it as straightforward as possible to build a website. As a result, there aren’t as many customization options as many of the Squarespace alternatives on this list.
SITE123 offers 2 pricing plans:
- Free (with a site123.com domain, limited storage, and limited bandwidth)
- Premium – $12.80 per month or $10.80 per month when billed annually.
Also, if you pay for a year in advance, you can get a free custom domain.
10. Wix: Best for General Purposes
Ideal for: Many different purposes.
Out of all the websites on this list, Wix is the most similar to Squarespace.
Like Squarespace, it offers something for everyone — whether you’re a musician, photographer, bride, or small business owner.
It comes with all the key features you’d expect, including customizable templates, a drop-and-drop editor, and access to more than 250 apps.
Wix provides plenty of different pricing plans depending on your needs, including 4 website plans, 3 business plans, and an enterprise solution. Here are the costs of the website plans:
- Free (with a wix.com domain and Wix ads)
- Combo: $14/month
- Unlimited: $18/month
- Pro: $23/month
- VIP: $39/month
Summary: 10 Best Squarespace Alternatives
Squarespace is undoubtedly a fantastic website builder. However, there are many Squarespace competitors worth considering.
In summary, here are 10 Squarespace alternatives and what they’re best at:
- Shopify: Best for running a business
- WordPress: Best for blogging
- Duda: Best for agencies and SaaS businesses
- Cargo: Best for creatives
- Strikingly: Best one-page website builder
- Pixpa: Best for photographers
- About.me: Best for simple personal branding
- ClickFunnels: Best for building sales funnels
- SITE123: Best simple website builder
- Wix: Best for general purposes
Which of these Squarespace alternatives has caught your eye? Have we missed any great sites like Squarespace? Let us know in the comments below!